Only fully vaccinated guests will be admitted to the following establishments:
Hotels, tours, restaurants, bars, casinos, shops, museums, gymnasiums, resorts, and adventure tourism may admit only persons who are verifiably fully vaccinated.
Verification takes place employing a QR code or the printed vaccination certificate. This requirement applies to all patrons 12 years of age and older.
Fully vaccinated in Costa Rica is recognized as the total number of doses for each vaccine indicated by the pharmaceutical company. The final dose has been applied at least 14 days before.
a) AstraZeneca/Oxford: 2-dose series
b) Pfizer-BioNTech: 2-dose series
c) Moderna: 2-dose series
d) Janssen (Johnson & Johnson): single dose
Exceptions to the presentation of the QR code of the vaccination certificate to enter commercial establishments are as follows:
1. Children under 12 years of age.
2. Tourists who have a duly accredited medical condition make it impossible to apply any vaccine approved by the Ministry of Health of Costa Rica.
Starting on April 01, all the establishments are able to operate on 100% without asking for a QR code.
Tourists entering the country will promptly receive a specific QR code after their Health Pass application has been reviewed and approved. Complete the digital form called HEALTH PASS available at: https://salud.go.cr
The Health Pass can only be completed within 72 hours of arriving in the country. It must be accessed in updated browsers except for Internet Explorer. One form must be completed per person, including minors, without exception.
The PCR test, antigen test, or any other is not a requirement to enter the country. Vaccinated tourists must attach the vaccination certificate to the Health Pass.
As proof, vaccination certificates and vaccination cards that contain at least the following information will be accepted:
1. Name of the person who received the vaccine
2. Date of each dose
3. Pharmaceutical house In the case of US travelers, the “COVID-19 vaccination record card” will be accepted.
Yes, they will be able to enter the country, but they won’t be admitted to any commercial establishment. We strongly encourage the guests to come with their vaccination scheme complete.
Starting on April 01, we won´t have any restrictions.
Tourists arriving from permitted destinations that meet the entry requirements are not required to quarantine. In case that any tourist is diagnosed with COVID-19 during their trip, they will receive a quarantine order upon arrival.
No. Curently we don´t have any night restrictions.
A negative PCR test or Antigen test is required for all passengers returning to the USA ages two years and older. The test must be taken within three calendar days of flight departure.
Alternatively, you may provide documentation from a licensed health care provider of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel.
Both PCR and Rapid Antigen Covid-19 tests are widely available throughout Costa Rica, and many hotels also offer onsite testing.
Laboratorio Echandi offers Covid-19 PCR tests or rapid antigen testing at Juan Santamaria International Airport in San Jose and Daniel Oduber Quiros International Airport in Liberia.
Passengers should plan to arrive at least four hours before their flights and must present proof of travel at the time of testing.
Of course, Costa Rican Trails is happy to assist you with the test arrangements.
- Costa Rica welcomes all International Visitors.
- There is no testing required to enter the country. This includes PCR testing or antigen testing
- There is no mandatory quarantine upon arrival.
- Depending on your country of origin, you may require a Covid-19 test prior to returning home. Jump to the section below on Departure Information
For the most up-to-date information, please visit the Costa Rican Tourism Board website.
Complete the online Health Pass. Travelers to Costa Rica must complete the pass available at https://salud.go.cr/.
This pass will be available 48 hours before boarding.
An individual form must be completed for every person, including minors.
- Visitors who are either under 18 or fully vaccinated against Covid-19 (inoculated with Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech, AstraZeneca, or Johnson & Johnson) can enter Costa Rica without a travel insurance policy.
- Non-vaccinated travelers must carry a travel insurance policy valid for their entire stay in Costa Rica. The travel insurance policy must cover:
- $50,000 for medical expenses related to Covid-19, and
- At least $2,000 in lodging expenses for Covid-19 quarantine
- Our Sales Team can also provide a quotation for insurance that meets the entry requirements for Costa Rica.
If you have insurance policy questions, please ask our Costa Rican Trails Sales Team for assistance.
- European Citizens currently require a Covid-19 test before returning home
- US Citizens currently require a Covid-19 test before returning home
- Canadian Citizens currently require a Covid-19 test before returning home
The cost range for tests will vary depending on the location, and if the test is taken at the International Airports, the hotel, or a private lab.
If the test is done at either International Airports: Liberia (LIR) & San Jose (SJO)
Rapid Antigen: $65 (Approx. Cost)
PCR: Unavailable at Airports
Passengers must perform the test 4-5 hrs prior to departure
If the test is done at a hotel outside of San Jose:
Rapid Antigen: $65-85
If the test is done at a private lab:
Rapid Antigen: $45-65
PCR Tests must be done at least three days or less before departure
Rapid Antigen Tests can be done the day before or at the airport, at least 5 hrs before departure
Of course. Our Concierge Team will be glad to help you:
- Coordinate Covid-19 tests for departure
- Confirm property tests
- Confirm the correct test for onward international travel
We recommend: arranging your Covid-19 tests once your booking is confirmed. Our Concierge Team can assist your clients in coordinating the tests. Then, your clients pay the lab or clinic directly after taking the test.
Please visit your country’s tourism board website for the most up-to-date information on your home country’s Covid-19 entry requirements.
Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our Costa Rican Trails Sales Team for assistance.
All staff from Costa Rican Trails are fully vaccinated.
This includes: Guides, Drivers, Concierge Staff, and all staff members.
Masks are required indoors: in restaurants, bars and hotel spaces, enclosed public spaces, and inside transportation.
Many of Costa Rica’s main attractions — like national parks and beaches — can be enjoyed without the use of a mask, provided that 6 ft. physical distancing can be maintained